Thursday, January 29, 2009

Worth Her Weight In Eggs

Okay, we have a chicken who lives on our back porch. She can't live with the other chickens because she did not grow up with them and she looks different from them and they would peck her to death (Come on chickies, can't we all just get along? HA,HA,HA, I know, it's bad folks). Anyway, she lives in a big cage on our back porch. During the day we will let her out and she can walk around and do whatever chicks do all day. Well, we have had her for about 6 months (and she was full grown when we got her) and she still had not laid an egg. Which means she was eating our chicken food for nothing. And we were having to go out on cold nights and cover her up because she does not have other chickens to snuggle up with and on top of that Matt had to clean out her cage. So, basically she was not earning her keep. We came home Monday afternoon and surprise, surprise, she had laid an egg. And yesterday another. So she gets to stay a little while longer. Here is Matt with Pearl's eggs.


I'll have to do a post sometimes on all the crazy animals we have had or have around here.

Here's a pic just because naked babies and their fat tummies and cute tooshies are the best!


The other day I was getting James dressed and I told Tyler to go to the sock basket and bring me back two matching baby socks. This is what he came back with. One boy sock and one pink girl sock. I thought, "Oh my heavens, this child will be driving a car in just four short years!" He gets distracted very easily to say the least. If anyone out there has any experience with 10 year (almost 11) old boys please help. Do they outgrow this?



James fell asleep on the recliner before I could put down for his nap Tuesday. He slept in that chair, with all our noise, for 3 hours. He was exhausted from playing so hard outside.I look at that baby, and at my other children too and think "What if? What if there were no babies in my life?" It's hard, but it's wonderful. I can't wait to meet Baby Girl.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, you have sweet kids. I'm glad you entered my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I LOVE your children! I think I'm the luckiest Aunt in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling you just the other day I look over at my 18year old boy and.."hey, your socks don't match?"" He tells me - "Mom, they were both clean!!"

    (How he can prove that I'm not even asking!)

    It's a guy thing I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your husband used to consider them a pair of socks if the color was close. If they were of different length he would push them down and crunch them so they looked the same. He "comes by it naturally".

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAY TO GO PEARL!!!! I think she misses me and is laying eggs so I'll come back...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reason the girl sock is lonely and mateless is b/c the matching sock is at my house! :-) I'll try to hang on to it when I purge all the other lonely socks in my pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebekah, we should have a "sock social" and introduce all our mateless socks to each other. Who knows, we might be matchmakers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have fresh eggs! I remember my mom getting them from a neighbor when I was a kid. I wonder if I could keep one in the garage. . .

    ReplyDelete