Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday at Home

After the crazy day yesterday it was nice just to be at home today. We had a calm school day and a restful afternoon. Everyone was in a happy mood and James took a long nap. Mark has a meeting at church tonight so he won't be in till late though. James is already in the bed and the older three are watching a rerun of Gomer Pyle. They have the boxed set and it is so fun to hear their laughter.

I have a question. Have any of you ever lost your "Cooking MoJo"? It seems that everything I have touched lately has not turned out right. I am not a gourmet cook by any means, but I can follow a recipe and usually things are well-received. I fix basic family food with no weird ingredients. We have small groups on Sunday night. We all take turns bringing supper and my turn was Sunday night. All the guys usually like my cooking because I cook real food and am pretty good at desserts. Well, my casserole BOMBED. I have made this chicken casserole many times and it has turned out fine. I got there, took the foil off, and realized "UH-OH" The rice was not cooked, at all! Mark could see my mortification and was trying to tell everyone he would just order a pizza. But no, another guy thought it could be redeemed by adding lots of water and cooking it some more. We decided to eat dessert first and wait for the casserole. Well, I cut into the Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, (which I have made before with great success), and it was not done in the middle. At all. At this point, one of the guys walked over and said, bless his heart, "Its not how we handle success, it's how we handle failure that matters." I looked at him to see if he was serious. He was, but I just burst out laughing.


Anyway, all that to say, my supper tonight was terrible. I'm not even going to go into the details (because if you made it through the above paragraph and are still reading, you are a loyal friend), but it was bad.


And Rebekah, when you come Friday, I'm pretty sure we'll be ordering pizza. My Cooking MoJo is gone with the wind; it's probably out there floating around with my House Cleaning MoJo.


Here's a cute pic of two of the kiddos. They loved the pizza rolls I had to make after the supper I cooked them fell apart.


4 comments:

  1. Cute kiddies....by the way, is the temperature right on the oven?? I'm also for a good excuse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I don't think its the oven bc the pizza rolls turned out okay. But, I'll keep that in mind if there is another diaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you know I want the details anyway. ;')

    I noticed our church has new thermometers attached to the front of the racks. One oven was set for 400 or 450 but kept hovering around 350. We had to turn it up, of course, b/c the biscuits were not cooking!

    But don't worry. I was making banana bread tonight and already had it in the oven when I noticed the 2 sticks of butter I had softened WERE STILL IN THE MICROWAVE!!! Whoops. Needless to say, I had to take the pans out, pour the batter back into the mixer, add the butter, and then pour back into the pans. They are cooking now and had better taste good! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wendy, Wendy, Wendy.... I'll be glad to help you - HA! But seriously, I have to keep one of those thermometer things in my oven because when I do the preheat thing, it will say it's 400 in there but then the thermometer says it's only 325 or something. SOOO, I go by the thermometer. I found that out after I made gooey in the middle break & bake cookies about a dozen times. Now I am personally ok with that but Jay, not so much. (Oh my gosh! Mark (just came by my desk (how dare he bother me with work when I'm posting a personal comment!) and said for me to give you my recipe for baked potatoes - you know b/c mine caught fire in the microwave.)

    ReplyDelete