Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Afternoon

I took Matt took the doctor this morning and he does indeed have strep throat. He is pretty miserable. We are having a hard time getting his fever down and he is mostly sleeping. I know the sleeping is good for him, but sleeping during the day is so unlike him. He is my busy, always has a new plan child.

Don't you think someone should invent an at-home strep test? Then we would know whether we needed to take the kids in for antibiotics or if it is just a cold/virus. I mean, they have all kinds of tests for the home now. Why not strep? I know why...doctors would miss out on many many co-pays.

I am getting lots of laundry done as I am having to wash a lot of towels from the throw-up around here. And I got my school stuff all straightened up because we aren't doing school right now. And I keeping up with the dishes because we are running out of bowls and spoons from all the ice cream, chicken noodle soup, and medicine dispensing around here. I finally wised up and bought some plastic spoons this morning. I had to clean out the fridge to make room for all the Gatorade I have bought. If I could get my floor mopped and all the ironing done I would do a happy dance.

Even with all that done though, I want my children (and hubby) to get well. It is the worst things to see them sick. My heart just about can't stand it.

Momma, I made chicken and macaroni noodle soup for Matt. It made me think of you and how you used to take care of us when we were sick.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the at home strep test, copays can get expensive, especially if all your kids get sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry ya'll are sick! yuck, yuck, yuck!! i agree with the home strep test, though in our house we need home uti tests! hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear! I've been so busy with the big consignment sale this week I hadn't checked your blog. Praying your family is all well again very soon. Fluids and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Home Strep Test! What a genius idea!

    And if I get sick, can I get some of that yummy chicken/macaroni soup? I like sour cream in mine. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for what your family has been going through. Not fun! Hope by now things are doing better. Praying for you this morning.

    Your things are coming...........I am a little behind.......sorry. Sent you an email. Hope you get it.

    Hugs, Linda
    Prairie Flower Farm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I remember reading about one somewhere, but it wasn't completely reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - I'm so sorry!! I hope everyone is up on the upswing by now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, there is a "rapid strept test" that is used in the doctor's offices. The problem is false negatives. If you get a negative result, it isn't 100% guaranteed the kid doesn't have strept, and a regular culture has to be done. And - to Lisa - there are dipstick tests for UTI that are also used in the offices and hospitals and again, the problem is reliability - AND that the companies who make them don't want to be sued by the general public if the test is mis-read, etc. In this litigious society, (where many people cannot correctly even read an in-home pregnancy test result), the risk to development companies is too high. Having said that - I also wish we had in home tests that would help us know if we had a "wait it out" virus, or something bacterial. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete