Sunday, July 31, 2011

Barn Hop #22


This has been my station in life for the past week. Not necessarily a bad place to be, just the place that I am. This was last Sunday. And this was just the first corn that Mark brought in. Its a good problem to have. The work, that is. Sweet corn is never a problem here at my house.


Here is Abbie cutting up figs for fig preserves. Do you see the irony in this picture? Abbie is cutting up healthy figs we grew in our own backyard and right beside her is a box of Krispy-Kreme donuts I picked up at the grocery store when I went to get jars that morning.

And just ignore the messy kitchen. It is a real-life working kitchen. And it has been working hard this week. I have also been putting up blueberries, peaches, and tomatoes this week. I made some Ro-Tel tomatoes and I can't wait to try them.

My mom and I went to my granddaddy's Friday and I came home with five grocery bags full of apples. Applesauce anyone? I should probably work on those but instead I am getting ready for a slumber party. Tuesday afternoon Abbie and I are having nine little girls over to spend the night. I'm not sure what I am thinking right here in the middle of canning season. Somehow our summer just ran out before our list of things to do did. Is anyone else having that problem?

Do you think I can put the girls to work peeling apples? Maybe call it an old-fashioned slumber party? I could tell the girls that in the olden days little girls liked to peel apples all night long????

Linking up at Homestead Revival's Barnyard Hop.

5 comments:

  1. My poor boys can't eat corn right now with their very loose teeth. I so want to eat corn.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to come hang out with you and get canning lessons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Let me know if you need some help with eating any of those preserves or anything. ;)

    We're attending a canning party at our church school late next week. I need to double-check and see whether I need to bring something to can. I hope we have some muscadines by then! Otherwise, it may mean a trip to the farmer's market. Our small garden isn't doing that well. We're eating what it produces as fast as it ripens! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you write and think! I too, live in the beautiful Alabama and was wondering what county you live in. Could it be Etowah, perhaps? I found you through the barnhop and hope to find other bloggers to share with in Alabama. My blog is simply practical dot blogspot dot com. I too have been busy canning and haven't posted lately. Do you know where I can buy clearjel? I need it for canning peach pie filling. Hope to hear back from your busy self!

    ReplyDelete