Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Ta-Da!....


Guess what?

I completed a domestic project.

I am the queen of having an idea and starting it. I get these crazy ideas to paint a room or learn to sew (cause of all the free time I have, you know?) and after a couple of days things just sorta never happen. But man, if I had some drones to execute all the ideas I come up with...

Anyway, I had this huge blank wall behind our couch. It has been like that since we moved in seven years ago. I tried a couple of different pictures, but nothing worked because the space was so big. So, I would sit and stare at the blank wall.

Well, I finally decided to do something about it, oh, about three months ago. And now it is done. Only three months, you say... Remember, I've got four kiddos here with me ALL DAY long. Crowd control is priority around here, not interior decorating.

Anyway, on someone's blog a long time, (I think it was Nester, but I can't be positive) I saw a coffee filter wreath and I knew that was going to be my starting point. The idea was to fill the space with things I love and things that are cheap. I made the wreath! I made a craft that looks good! Woo-Hoo!

I couldn't find any light brown coffee filters like I wanted so I actually dyed the white filters with tea. Yes, I did. And then I laid them out to dry and it took much longer than I thought it would. Strange. Some of them even got a little musty, I would have to say.

Anyways... I took a Styrofoam wreath and then just proceeded to bend the filters like I wanted and pinned them in place with stick pins. I thought about hot gluing them, but that would have involved finding the glue gun and then finding the glue sticks, and I would still be staring at the blank wall today. Actually I am glad I did it with pins because I could then take them out and rearrange them like I wanted.

I would have liked for it to be a little darker for this wall, so I plan to make another one and put this one in our bedroom. I bought the frames at the thrift store and was gifted the crosses. The wagon picture came from the thrift store. The framed quilt piece was from a quilt my great-grandmother made. It was falling to pieces so I salvaged a piece with no tears or rips and framed it. The children are courtesy of Mark and I, thank you very much.

And yes, I am well aware the items on the wall are crooked. Everything in my house is. This house is very old and it is saggy in a little places. I can straighten a picture one day and then next morning it is crooked again. There is actually a place in the house where Mark and I can stand and I am almost as tall as he is. We call it our smooching spot.

There are still a few little things I want to add to it. My mom had some wooden butterflies that used to hang in her kitchen. I am on the lookout for something like that to add to the top.

This is an old post that I am putting in The Farmhouse Style Blog Hop today.  Thanks Green Eggs and Goats!  

I still love my coffee filter wreath and am trying to figure out exactly where I want it since the painting fiasco.  Fiasco in that the walls are painted, but I still haven't hung anything on the walls.  Well, I did try to hang a cute little coat holder thingy and it kept falling and scraped the new paint.  So it is back in the pile of things to hang later....

13 comments:

  1. i love it!!! yay for completed projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture just doesn't do it justice! It looks so cute, I am definitely very impresed. I hope to be that creative when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'crowd control'-I love that. It's good to see your blog again. Your wall looks nice, good for you!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, Mama Hen! And don't worry about the crooked wall items. You have kids running around, jumping around and living in your house every day. Who can keep frames on the wall straight with all that living going on? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job,put a "rolled backwards" piece of masking tape on the back bottom corners of the crooked pics, and they will hang stright=0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you get my comment? I think it got lost during the blogger outage. I stopped in to say Hi! I've missed your blog. I'm back online again via my new fancy phone.
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!! Thanks so much for being the first to link up to the Farmhouse Style Blog Hop! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, crowd control definitely trumps interior decorating around here, too. Love Janet's hint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job...I have been going to make one of those cf wreaths, but just haven't gotten around to it...maybe this will spur me on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to comment, and see I already did---in May??
    What's going on with that? Oh....don't even try to explain, it will just make my brain hurt=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet-this was an old post that I put in a decorating blog hop. All the old comments carried over with it. But thanks for commenting again-your comment made my morning. :)

    ReplyDelete