Saturday, June 23, 2012

Friday Freezer Cooking and Other Going-Ons....

Well, it appears that my chest deep freezer is officially dead.  The ice cube trays I set in it will get very cold, but will not freeze.  The defrosting did not help and now I have a very very clean non-working deep freeze.  So, I have had to re-evaluate my freezer-filling ideas.

I still want to continue this challenge for myself.  I cleaned out my inside fridge freezer also and made lots more room.  So, I am going to continue to do the freezer cooing in small amounts.  And we are going to be eating lots out of the freezer the next few weeks.  Which is why you do the cooking in the first place, right?  I am so crazy I want to cook all the stuff and then just open the freezer and look at it.  But that's a dumb reason to do it, so we are going to be eating a lot of the same things for the next few weeks-which certainly won't hurt us, and using up what we have.  I already have lots of the ingredients for some casseroles I was planning on doing yesterday and they need to be made up and frozen or they will spoil.  So, instead of eating 3-cheese spaghetti twice in three months we might eat it twice in two weeks.  And this will be good for our budget too!  We need to put every penny we can into saving for our new deep-freeze.

I did not do the the casseroles yesterday because we had surprise company, but I was able to make 15 more breakfast burritos using up some leftover ham.  These have been great to have at the house for breakfast and snacks.  So far bacon is everyone's favorite, but I had ham so ham was used.  

~In other news-Mark has found two goats he is very interested in. They are a male and female registered Nubians which means all babies can be registered and we can sell them for more.  We know we aren't going to make a fortune selling goats, but we would at least like to make enough to pay for their feed and upkeep.  And I am so excited about the milk!  I know it will take some getting used to, but Thursday night I made a casserole which took four cups of milk (I had doubled the recipe). It would have been so nice to be able to use our milk for things like that.

Someone is looking at the goats today and if he doesn't buy them I guess we will head up to look at them.

~Tyler's foot is much better and it hasn't stopped him from playing basketball or video games at all.  Taking out the trash suddenly put too much pressure on that foot and he didn't think he was going to make it.  After some encouragement from mom it was amazing how quickly that foot got better and he was able to do his chores.

~We did not get to have a proper Father's Day celebration last week because we had out-of-town company and enjoyed every minute of it.  But the kids and I have deemed today to be "A Father's Day Extravaganza!" around here.  He is right now sleeping in, we have worked up a little performance for him after he wakes up, and we are going out to lunch.  We received a gift certificate to a local restaurant awhile back and we are going to use it up today.  Yum, yum. Tonight I am making his favorite beef stew for supper and blueberry cobbler.

~We are still picking beans.  These also have to be frozen because I don't have a pressure canner and I am scared of them anyway, so we are going to be eating lots of green beans the next few weeks also. :)

~Right now as we write (talk?) my sister Jill is running the Clanton Peach Run 10K.  You go girl! I can't wait to see how she places.  She really encouraged me to try the 5K which was not going to happen-I am not nearly ready for that.  I am still struggling with making it up to walking five laps in the pasture.  But I don't want to quit so I am keeping on.  The heat is getting worse everyday so we'll see.  I would not be able to do this without  her encouragement though.  I can tell a little difference in my clothes, but not enough to buy anything new.  So, I'll just keep on and know that every day I walk I am getting a little healthier and a little stronger.

Okay, how did this turn into such a long post?  Off to get ready to celebrate the day with Mark and the kiddos!

6 comments:

  1. Mama Hen,
    Don't "junk" the old freezer! Now that it is clean it will make a great bin to keep goat feed in. Stays free of small varmints, bugs, and the goats themselves.

    Jill,
    Good for you! No matter what you placed you are awesome for staying active!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny about looking at the food in the freezer. I kinda do the same thing; I think it's a feeling of plenty and security that makes it appealing, and knowing that once we eat it, it won't be available if needed.
    We raised Nubians when I was a kid; you are correct about the milk, but like anything else, once we got used to it we liked it better than cow's. We also liked the butter it made, but our cheese making skills weren't up to par, and we didn't get good results with that.
    Keep up the good work! You will see the results, but even better, you will feel them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany-That is so smart! I would have never thought of that. I have already told Mark and he agrees it is a great idea also. Now we just need to figure out a way to get it moved to the goat area.

    Mama Hen- Thank you for the encouragement. I am one of those people that needs lots of encouragement bc I am usually known for what I start and quit than what I finish. I am trying to do so much better though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your taking it much better than I did last year! When you are ready to buy, check Lowe's and HD for scratch and dent models. Also, AL power appliance sales has repo stuff--we have bought several of those over the years, b/c we also get an employee discount. THe repo ones are usually less than a year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your taking it much better than I did last year! When you are ready to buy, check Lowe's and HD for scratch and dent models. Also, AL power appliance sales has repo stuff--we have bought several of those over the years, b/c we also get an employee discount. THe repo ones are usually less than a year old.

    ReplyDelete